Thröstur Björgvinsson, PhD, ABPP
Founder and Senior Advisor
Dr. Thröstur Björgvinsson is a licensed psychologist in the state of Texas with extensive experience in treating depression and anxiety disorders, particularly obsessive compulsive disorder. He developed and directed the nationally recognized Menninger Clinic OCD Treatment Program in its entire time of operation, from September of 2000 to December of 2008. He was initially assistant professor and then associate professor at the Department of Psychiatry at Baylor College of Medicine while the Menninger OCD Treatment Program was in Houston.
Dr. Björgvinsson received his BA from the University of Iceland and his PhD in clinical psychology from Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. He completed an internship in cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) at McLean Hospital/Harvard Medical School and a behavior therapy fellowship at the OCD Institute at McLean Hospital. At the Menninger Clinic, Dr. Björgvinsson developed and launched a comprehensive residential treatment program for both adults and adolescents that provided empirically validated treatments to patients with severe OCD and other anxiety disorders. He has given several lectures and conducted workshops nationally and internationally focusing on evidence-based treatments for anxiety disorders and depression.
Education & Training
- 1989 BA, University of Iceland
- 1992 MA in Clinical Psychology, Lakehead University
- 1998 PhD in Clinical Psychology, Queen’s University
- 1996-1997 Psychology Internship, McLean Hospital/Harvard Medical School
- 1997-1998 Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Cognitive Behavior Therapy, OCD Institute, McLean Hospital/Harvard Medical School
- 1999-2004 Licensed Psychologist, Kansas
- 2003 Licensed Psychologist, Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists
- 2007 Licensed Psychologist, Iceland
- 2008 Specialty Certification in Clinical Psychology granted by the Surgeon General of Iceland, Reykjavik, Iceland
- 2010 Licensed Psychologist, Board of Registration of Psychologists, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- 2010 Clinical Psychology, American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP)